To implement the government's policy of attracting investments, the following incentives have been provided under the Free Zones Act 404 1995.
100% exemption from payment of direct and indirect duties and levies on all imports for production, and export from the free zones.
- Free-Zone enterprises are granted 100% exemption from income tax on profits for 10 years, after which the tax rate shall not exceed 8%.
- Relief from double taxation for foreign investors and employees
No import licensing requirements, with minimal customs formalities.
100% ownership of shares by investor (foreign or national) in a free-zone enclave and enterprise.
- No conditions or restrictions on repatriation of dividends or net profit;
- No conditions or restrictions on payments for foreign-loan servicing;
- No payments of fees and charges for technology transfer agreements;
- No conditions or restrictions on the remittance of proceeds from the sale of any interest in a free-zone investment.
Management of Foreign Currency
Free-zone investors are permitted to operate foreign currency accounts with banks in Ghana.
Sales to Local Market
Up to 30% of annual production of goods and services of a free-zone enterprise are authorised for sale in the local market.
Free-zone investments are guaranteed against nationalisation and expropriation.